Last Update: December 21, 2022, 18:51 IST
Technology plays an important role in our daily lives. The younger generation has grown up using a variety of electronic devices at their fingertips, and it’s no surprise to see 3-year-olds unlocking cell phones, operating apps and play games online. Children cannot imagine a world without the internet, smartphones, tablets, electronic games and other hand-held devices. These days digital devices are becoming more popular among children and the elderly as well.
Advances in technology require today’s parents to consider how to limit screen time for their children. Digital devices can provide endless hours of entertainment, but they also have their downsides. Unlimited screen time is bad. Giving your toddler a digital device may seem like a quick fix, but research shows that this method of conditioning can lead to behavioral problems among children.
According to Jenny Radesky, MD and Developmental Pediatrician at the University of Michigan Health Children’s Hospital, “Using cell phones and other electronic devices to meet a young child appears to be a harmless tool, or short-term but may have long-term effects, if any. considered a mitigation strategy.”
Disadvantages of using digital devices:
- Frequent use of devices such as smartphones and tablets to comfort children who are upset can lead to emotional or behavioral problems.
- Children may act more aggressively with mood swings, sudden mood swings, depression or excitement, anger or sadness, or being busy.
- Too much gadget use can lead to depression in children. It also leads to mental health issues.
- Having long-term sedentary activities, such as playing online video games and watching television, can be a risk factor for obesity or overweight in children.
Set Rules to prevent screen time on electronic devices:
- Set aside time for screen, TV or cell phone use.
- Let them play outdoor games.
- Avoid digital devices before bedtime.
- Make sure your child gets enough sleep.
- Babysitters don’t have equipment, they have to provide toys to play with and coloring books.
- No use of digital devices during meals.
- No electronic devices at birth.
Read the latest lifestyle news here