Just like WhatsApp, Telegram users can send messages to individuals or groups, and the platform also allows creating a channel. However, unlike the WhatsApp groups, Telegram offers a larger member limit for both groups and channels. In this guide, we will discuss how to create and use Telegram channels, along with the difference between a Telegram group and channels, and more. You will also learn how to prevent others from adding you to Telegram groups.
How do telegram channels and groups differ?
First, let’s understand the difference between a telegram channel and a telegram group.
- A Telegram channel is basically a WhatsApp-like admin-only group where members (known as subscribers) cannot post anything.
- While a Telegram group allows all members to post messages and participate in discussions.
- A Telegram group has a limit of 200,000 users while a Telegram channel can have unlimited subscribers.
- You will find out how many people have viewed your post on a Telegram channel, while it is not possible in the Telegram group.
Overall we can say that Telegram group is a way to interact with your audience while Telegram channel broadcasts more or less where you can’t interact with your audience.
How to create a Telegram channel?
Telegram offers the possibility to create a public or private channel. Before we create one, let’s understand what is private and public telegram channel.
Public vs Private Telegram Channels
- Public channels have a username and anyone can find and join them using Telegram search.
- While private channels are closed societies – where a user needs to be added by the owner or given an invitation link to join.
- Basically, there is not much difference between private and public channels, and when a private channel is publicly available, it works similar to the public channel.
Create a channel on Telegram Web
Now that we have learned the difference between public and private Telegram channels, let’s see how to create a channel on Telegram web.
1. Open your account on Telegram Web and log in.
2. Click the hamburger menu in the top left.
3. Choose new channel from the menu.
4. Enter the channel name and Designation.
5. When you’re done, click Create Button.
6. Choose if you want to create one Publicity or private channel.
7. If you choose a private channel, Telegram will automatically create a link for it. On the other hand, if you select Public, you must create the link manually.
8th. When you’re done, click the Save on computer Button to create a channel.
Create a channel on mobile
The steps to create a Telegram channel on the mobile app are slightly different. If you want to create a channel from mobile you have to follow the steps below.
1. Open the Telegram app (Android, iOS) on your phone.
2. Click on that Create Icon (pencil) at the bottom right.
3. Tap on new channel on the next screen.
4. Enter the channel name and description.
5. Now click Finished above.
6. Choose the channel type from Public or Private when you select the following:
- The private channel then automatically creates a link for Telegram, or
- In the public channel, you need to create the link manually.
7. After selection, tap Finished Continue.
8th. Select the subscribers you want to add to the channel and tap Next Button.
Admin controls for Telegram channels
Telegram gives admins multiple privileges to control a channel. This includes changing the channel name and profile picture, enabling or disabling emoji reactions, creating a poll, and more. Let’s see how it can be done.
Change name, description and profile picture
If you want to change your Telegram channel name, description and profile picture. Follow the steps below:
1. Go to the Telegram channel on the Internet.
2. Click on that three points above.
3. Choose manage channel from the menu.
4. Enter the new one channel name and description.
5. To change your profile picture, click this profile icon or camera icon.
6. Select the photo from your device and tap Save on computer Button.
Prevent subscribers from saving and sharing content
You can also prevent people from copying, forwarding, or saving content from your Telegram channel by enabling content saving restriction. However, enabling the feature does not prevent subscribers from taking screenshots. Follow the steps below to enable it.
1. Open the Telegram channel on the web.
2. Tap on the three dots in the top right.
3. Select Manage Channel from the given options.
4. Click on channel type and you will see a content protection section.
5. Next to Restrict content saving, turn on the switch.
6. Finally, tap on the Save button.
Enable emoji reactions
Admins also have the option to enable or disable emoji reactions on their Telegram channel. The platform also offers admins the ability to restrict some emojis in reactions. This is how you can enable or disable it.
1. Go to the channel on Telegram Web.
2. Tap the three points above.
3. Choose manage channel.
4. Click on reactions on the next screen.
5. Do that… on Switch next to Reactions to enable emoji reactions on your Telegram channel. If you want to disable it, just turn off the switch.
6. You can also restrict some specific emojis from reactions only turn off the switch next to the emoji.
7. Finally click on the Save on computer button to apply these changes.
Delete channel with all data and subscribers
If you want to delete your Telegram channel along with all subscribers and messages, follow the steps below.
1. Go to your Telegram channel.
2. Tap the three points in the upper right corner.
3. Choose manage channel from the menu.
4. Click on Delete channel at the bottom.
5. Click again Extinguishto delete the channel with all subscribers and messages.
Summary: All About Telegram Channels
In this read, we discussed what Telegram channels are, how to create and delete them, and how they differ from a group. You can also check out the best Telegram bots guide for a great experience. I hope you found this useful; If you did, make sure you like and share. Check out more tips linked below and stay tuned for more such tech tips, tricks, guides and reviews.
This might interest you:
You can also follow us for instant technical updates at Google news or for tips and tricks, smartphone and gadget reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram group or subscribe for the latest review videos GadgetsToUse YouTube channel.