ABC News is introducing a redesigned mobile app that will feature a newly refreshed design and a user experience packed with new features and improvements.
- A redesigned mobile app from ABC News will launch in app stores on September 20th, with new features, technological improvements and a newly refreshed design and user experience.
- The revamped ABC News app is built on Disney’s proprietary technology, product and design platforms – improving speed and scalability and providing more flexibility for storytelling. This also allows the ABC News app to benefit from the development of new features and functionality across Disney’s digital portfolio and quickly bring new, innovative features to ABC News.
- An enhanced video experience – for both ABC News Live streaming and on-demand video – is at the heart of the relaunched app. Enhancements include a new video player, picture-in-picture and “docking” capabilities, more seamless ABC News Live integration, improved EPG and schedule, improved video technology and more.
- The updated app also introduces “dark mode” to the app for the first time – a highly requested feature – and offers an improved search function, backed by superior algorithm adaptability and an introduction of thematic categories to make the search more accessible to all users easy to focus.
- ABC News editors and reporters get new flexibility in storytelling, with updated design treatments including new breaking news and takeover experiences for the home screen, improved photo galleries, updated live blog integration and more.
- Ahead of the 2022 midterm election, the updated ABC News app will also provide updates to live, real-time voting results data. Additionally, election maps will feature a new design and interaction, and in-app election coverage will provide historical data for the first time – allowing users to examine results from previous election cycles, set the framework for upcoming midterm elections, and preview the 2024 election cycle.
- Consumers will also be able to take advantage of exit poll filters, which allow them to examine data through the lens of demographics, location, education level and more to understand what decisions different types and groups of voters have made .
- New primary navigation provides one-tap access to View, Explore, Listen, Search, and an updated My Messages section. Through easy-to-use personalization, the new ABC News app gives users one-tap access to easily add and change topic interests and curates those personalized news interests in the “My News” section.
- In Listen, users have access to an updated and improved library of award-winning audio content from ABC News – including the Start Here podcast, Good Morning America audio, full episode audio of World News Tonight, 20/20 and Nightline, acclaimed political podcasts from FiveThirtyEight, original storytelling and more.
What you say:
- Lulu Chiang, Vice President of ABC News Digital Content: “ABC News is the news leader. We’re excited that the new updates to our signature digital app offer new ways to showcase our world-class journalism, engage consumers more deeply in our reporting, and improve the way audiences see and read everything from breaking news to to our industry-leading election coverage and more.”
- Nicole Breskin, Vice President, News & Entertainment Product, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution: “This latest release is an important step in our strategy to advance our video storytelling on mobile devices. Crucially, the app also offers new experiences centered around breaking news and live video to deliver important news when people need it. Our updated app is built on our scalable foundation, which allows us to innovate and bring ABC News to our audiences in novel ways.”