Press release: 5G SA has been put into widespread commercial use all over the world. As a driver of digital and intelligent transformation for thousands of industries, the 5G network faces challenges and opportunities in the era of dual carbon. It is essential to continue to adopt innovative technologies to build green infrastructure. In addition, advanced grid energy-saving and consumption-reducing technologies are needed to provide an impetus for the green development of thousands of industries, thus providing greater development opportunities.
As the core and brain of the 5G network, it faces major challenges on how to save energy and reduce consumption due to multiple types of NEs, large number of MOCs, distributed deployment, and redundant resources. In addition, CN, as the main brain of the network, should be more intelligent and flexible so that it can accurately perceive the congestion status, service type and UE location of network data load and delivery, and can actually schedule and organize the network. time and dynamic. In addition, CN can cooperate with other network areas to enable various industries and achieve comprehensive energy saving and consumption reduction. Therefore, research and applications of energy-saving and NCP-consumption techniques are indispensable.
Green Engine Solution
In the face of green development opportunities and challenges, ZTE launches Green Engine solution based on 5G Common Core. The solution is guided by ideas of energy-saving, enabling, enabling, and oriented to ToC and ToB scenarios, and is based on four key technologies from cloud-native, hyper-convergence, hardware acceleration, and artificial intelligence/automation. With this solution, ZTE achieves an environmentally friendly transformation of NFVI, VNFs and MANO, promotes capacity building and continuous development of CNs, builds an environmentally friendly engine, provides power to operator networks, empowers thousands of industries, enables digital and smart production, and helps thousands of industries to Achieving a bi-carbon goal in the age of the Internet of Everything (IoE).
NFVI: Green Base
NFVI includes two main components: server hardware and a cloud platform. The goal of Green Base is to build green servers and a green cloud platform.
Green server: As the basis for the green base, ZTE provides efficient computing through efficient power supply, heat dissipation, and architecture to optimize bit power consumption, reduce unnecessary power consumption, and significantly reduce PUE.
- Efficient power supply: Multiple power supply modes are supported, such as direct battery supply and titanium power supply, to improve power supply efficiency. Intelligent operation of the transmission peak avoids a sharp increase in instantaneous power consumption.
- Efficient heat dissipation: A full chain of liquid-cooled servers is provided for efficient heat dissipation for high-power components. The use of immersive liquid cooling in the data center resource pool size will allow PUE to approach 1.01, saving significant power in the core equipment room.
- Efficient architecture: New architectures such as in-memory computing and near-memory computing are gradually introduced, and new materials such as resistive random access memory (RRAM) and phase change memory (PCM) are introduced to reduce power consumption by more than 50%.
- Efficient computing: Based on the characteristics of the service, the system implements the efficient coordination of multiple computing forces. For example, with the combination of CPU and FPGA, FPGA can directly forward packets without sending them to CPU and memory, which reduces data copy power consumption and bit power consumption.
Green Cloud Platform: As a unified management platform, Green Cloud Platform protects the complexity of resources in terms of size, type and layout, and provides the abstract computing power of AIO for applications. Green Cloud Platform aims to save energy and reduce consumption while optimizing Green Cloud Platform for various applications.
- Energy saving and consumption reduction: Dynamic resource adjustment based on energy management and service requirements can effectively reduce energy consumption. At the same time, intelligent power forecasting is implemented to plan and adjust resource pool capacity in advance to save resource consumption.
- Green enablement: The platform provides precise resources based on different application requirements (such as acceleration and low latency) for optimal resource adaptation. In addition, basic core capabilities (such as database and load balancing) are shared to reduce application power consumption.
VNF: Green Empowerment
In terms of green enablement, CN VNFs act as the green enabler by providing multidimensional energy, including the following three aspects:
The original cloud design and the original energy saving: the VNF architecture is stateless in the design, and the resource can be saved by 20%. Microservices are used to implement service sharing, and the shared service layer is created for cloud-native VNFs, which reduces power consumption by a maximum of 10%.
High-performance UPFs and smart energy-saving: Hardware acceleration, CPU-core bonding, and DPDK technologies are used to implement high-efficiency UPFs. In addition, the built-in power saving mode is used to power up or hibernate the CPUs as required depending on the network traffic load. Intelligent monitoring while working does not affect the homogeneity of the service. Level redirection requires only one physical CPU core to monitor while it is working, thus reducing power consumption by up to 90%.
Full-scenario private network equipment, green enablement: Cloud network superconvergence, micro IoT, and other features are introduced to help IoT terminals such as smart electricity meters, water meters and smart locks for public bicycles achieve energy savings. For example, Precision IoT negotiates with terminals to introduce a hierarchical policy to provide power on demand, and directs terminals to sleep periodically at the second, hourly, and day level, increasing the standby time of IoT terminals by ten to 1,000 times.
Manu: The green brain
It is another challenge how to accurately monitor and manage CN while saving energy and reducing consumption. For example, these problems require a green mind for careful observation and management.
ZTE’s CN “green brain” is based on the entire O&M workflow (plan, build, maintain and improve). Through the intelligent automation of the entire workflow, the green transformation of operation and maintenance is promoted, and a complete set of solutions are built for green building, energy consumption management, intelligent operation and maintenance, and energy consumption optimization, so that energy savings can be easily seen and touched and can be intelligently automated to enable operation the green.
Through continuous cooperation with industry-leading operators, ZTE 5GC Green Engine Solution plays an increasingly important role in the dual carbon goal. With its pioneering products and solutions, ZTE has forged deep cooperation with many operators and industrial organizations around the world to build low carbon naphthalene as environmentally friendly engines to improve energy efficiency in data centers, and accelerate the exit from the old. Network equipment with high energy consumption, building a new information infrastructure that is green, low-carbon, efficient and intelligent, to help operators and industry customers achieve the goal of green transformation in the double-carbon era, and contribute to the construction of a green land.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter Back